Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Michael's Story - Part 3 of 3...for now.


Today a very good friend at work asked me the simplest of questions: “Why do you run, Mike?” Before I could answer, he immediately followed with, “I'd only run if it was to save my life.”


As I answered him I realized that the time has come for me to finish the last chapter in my story about how I got here, and to explain the mysterious fortune cookie I have mentioned.


I will try to keep this as short as possible, as I'm not sure yet what all this means yet for me.


When we left off, after 4 months of me waiting to hear if Team Fox was going to have a team in the 2014 Marathon, I finally found out, that indeed, they were. That was around 3pm. Near 5pm I spoke with Mom on the phone, and she let me know the news about Dad's diagnosis. It seemed like some sort of big cosmic arrow pointing the way for me, and I knew everything would work out if I followed.


I should further explain here that my father has been forgetting things more and more over the last five years or so. Only short term things, but enough to concern everyone, including him. Then he started to have a shaky gate when he walked. His regular doctors told him it was just getting older, and possibly an inner-ear issue.
 
90.7 Orlando
 
Then one day I heard a wonderful article on NPR about something called Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus, or NPH. It covered Dad's symptoms and a few more, and the doctor being interviewed explained that a decent percentage of patients who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia just have this condition, which is mostly treatable. I went on a tear trying to get Dad to go to the right doctors, and finally, at the insistence of Mom and one of my brothers, Dad got tested.


I explained from the start that this was an outside chance, and for nobody to get their hopes up, even though I secretly held hope. Sadly, the doctors at UF confirmed it was dementia, and on top of that, it was Parkinson's Syndrome (PS). PS is a little different than Parkinson's Disease. PS is another degenerative neurological illness where the patient gets sporadic and individual symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. Very little is known currently about it, but I have faith that an answers lies in finding a solution to Parkinson's!


That is why I have redoubled my efforts for this cause. Yes I get to run in a very exclusive marathon, but I could have done that without trying to raise so much money for research.
 

So why then do I run? I have to answer with a question.


How many people get to do something they love, for someone they love, and share that love with the world for the betterment of all mankind

That is why I run, to save lives.


It also doesn't hurt that around 7pm, that random night, I opened a fortune cookie, and read this:

No comments:

Post a Comment