Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dodging raindrops! - about time for some more "running" stuff


Wet Cement?

When I was growing up, one of my favorite books actually belonged to my next-oldest brother, Chris. It was a personalized gift to him about a little boy who got caught in a rainstorm, hid in a closed supermarket, and mediated a settlement between the ever-so-grumpy paper bag, Medelef, and the fresh market items. It was personalized to say "Chris", and "Medelef" was just an anagram of our family name, however it was a beautiful story to capture my childhood imagination.

So, Michael, what does this have to do with running. Well, as it turns out, the book starts out with a very well-painted narrative, and it includes a wonderful phrase, "...dodging raindrops." I always asked my parents if it was possible and they would say things like "If you run fast enough." Ever since then I have been trying.

I love running in the rain, and I always think of the illustrations in that book when I do get caught in a storm. Today though I went out looking for trouble. I actually didn't even start stretching till the thunder started. So laced up, and cell in a baggie, I headed out for a quick 3 miles.

If you try this I highly encourage you to pick a route you usually avoid in the sun. The reason why is simple, if you wanna enjoy being silly and making a mess of yourself, you should do it out in the open. Also, technically I guess it gives you a variation in your training, but mostly I like my raindrops un-encumbered.


Blurry, Action-soaked Adventure


If you are not sold yet, I can honestly say that it is good to get in a little training running in the wet cause every now and then, even here in sunny Florida, our outdoor events get drenched, and it's nice to have the experience of how not to slip and fall in public. Or, in the case of the Savage Race a year or so ago, our early heat was soaked, then the afternoon waves literally had a tornado sweep through. Practice makes perfect!

Now, you may also be thinking I'm crazy to go out in the rain, won't I catch cold? Well, not unless I was going to any way. The rain doesn't infect people. Getting too cold for too long can create a hypothermic state even in the summer; asthma sufferers, like me, want to make sure it's no the cold air that sets off an attack, but generally, as long as you recover your body temp after, you should be fine!

Oh, and wear the older "mud run" shoes!



All this being said, in just 217 days I am going to be freezing my rear off while waiting at the starting line on Staten Island. This past year the temperature at the start was forty-six degrees; so I shall suffer effects of the cold in ways I have never imagined.

Of course, insert literary ploy for money, I'm going to feel amazing about it, because all of you will have helped me raise over $5000 for Team Fox for Parkinson's Research.

I really do still need all of you to do what you can to help reach this goal! Three things are needed: 1. Click the link. 2. Forward to others. 3. Personally remind them how important this cause is to families like mine, please.

http://www2.michaeljfox.org/goto/RunningArts

Or follow, and forward now on Twitter @ RunningArts






No comments:

Post a Comment