Saturday, May 3, 2014

A funny thing happened on the way to the bank!



Last night I had a very surreal experience, I witnessed a cyclist on his way home from work get hit by a driver who wasn't paying attention. It was at a full-on red light, and the cyclist, named Josh, was clearly in the crosswalk with a walk signal.
 


Rearview


Josh is ok! He got so very lucky, as I am sure so many of my running fans have as well; I know I have. So, after I tweeted about it, waiting for the police, it was suggested that I write a road safety post...sounds good to me!!


First let me say that there are some fantastic guidelines available at the Road Runners site, very common sense stuff that you probably already know or practice, www.rrca.org/education-advocacy/etiquette-for-runners/


They are quite general though, and as I was brought up by a cop, a great cop, so I'll happily share some of the things I was told on how to stay alive! As a note, these are just more guidelines, and I'm in no way responsible if you still fail to look both ways!!!     *especially while reading this
 
 
 

*RunningArts' 7 Advanced Road Runner Rules!!*
 
 
  1. Everyone is trying to kill you!
    This is a good reminder as you head into traffic, especially in a city like Orlando, where I live and run. Basically Dad means that no car, or driver, is to be trusted; play out every scenario for every direction change a car might make, and you’ll usually be ready.

  2. Just cause their blinker is on, doesn’t mean they are really going to turn!
    Dad put it this way, “Did the driver just put on that blinker, or has it been on for 5 miles?”

  3. Watch their wheels, not the driver!
    Wheel Watcher
    From a full stop, at a perpendicular angle, it is easier to see a car's wheels begin to rotate, verses the entire car move against the background. This might give you the moment you need to adjust or stop as needed.

  4. Know your route!
    I always observe the same traffic hazard in the same place on my run. It is at a major intersection where the forward traveling lanes have green lights, and for some reason the right turn arrow stays red an extra 30 seconds. Everyone runs the turn arrow without stopping. Knowing this I either avoid ever crossing there, or I am overly cautions of the flow of traffic there.

  5. Seek alternatives, and always seek to improve your course!
    I run along a beautiful road beside a golf course. For the first month that I lived here I always dodged intersections and driveways on the East side of the road. Then one day the my regular sidewalk was under construction so off to the West I went. What a different world, probably only a quarter of the intersections and obstacles then lined my path. Always seek a more runner-friendly path!

  6. Always ALWAYS carry some sort of ID and let someone know where you're going.
    Whether it's your actual DL in your tiny keypocket that you stretched, or a RoadID item, if you can't talk for yourself in an emergency, let your ID talk for you. Also, whether it's telling your husband or wife which route you're about to head out to, or a quick Tweet that you're headed out for your “regular” run, let there be somewhere to start looking for you in an emergency!

  7. For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT JAYWALK!
    Think about it this way, IF drivers hit you in crosswalks where they expect you to be THEN they will do it even more when they don't have the slightest clue that they should look up from Snapchat  so they can watch your new Asics bounce off their hood!!!
    It is covered really well here: www.popcenter.org/problems/pedestrian_injuries/

      “Pedestrian-vehicle crashes also tend to concentrate at certain places:6
  • The majority of pedestrian-vehicle crashes (60 percent in urban areas; 67 percent in rural areas) occur at places other than intersections.
  • Seventy-four percent of pedestrian-vehicle crashes occur where no traffic control exists.


Just 10 more feet!


DO NOT JAYWALK!!!!! USE THE CROSSWALK!!!!!
ITS RIGHT THERE!!!!!!


 
 
 

I hope that these reminders help keep you and all your running friends just a little bit more safe! Please share these notes with others, but remember they are just a step to being as safe as possible!


In the event that you are curious, yes, I have been hit while running, twice!


Both times were at the same crosswalk, crossing the right turn-lane on a “Walk” signal after making eye contact with a slowing driver. Both times I gave myself a little extra space in the crosswalk, and that allowed me to spring away from their hood as the driver stood on their brakes. I was very fortunate, and I have my Dad to thank!!


No comments:

Post a Comment