Monday, April 14, 2014

One of My Favorite Halfs Just Opened!!!


Just announced today is the registration open for one of my favorite runs ever! The 2014 Key Largo Bridge Half Marathon!!


Key Largo Bridge Run
 

Top reasons why I love this run:

  1. It's completely beautiful!
  2. It's not very technical! (Except for the GIANT bridge)
  3. It's inexpensive! (only $60 at open)
  4. It's a small field!
  5. It is mentally exhausting! (Cause I like a challenge)



Up for that challenge? If only those five reasons hooked you, then head to the race website. They have a special early registration bonus of a free second race tee till April 21st.
 

The November 8th run is an out-and-back route, along the famous Florida Stretch. It's 18 miles of causeway built on Flagler's old rail-bed, and in some places appears to be a foot off the water. This race also features a 10k and 5k out-and-back that all start at the same time, so volunteers along the road literally hold up signs telling you when to turn for each distance.


The half is the most sparse of the groups. It's kind of un-nerving to be running with 1000 people who just disappear at the 10k turn, then suddenly there are about 100 other runners scattered up the remaining three miles in front of you. That is one of the things that make this a challenge; there are no spectators after the first mile. At each water stop there were amazing volunteers, of course, who cheer like crazy, but you are pretty-much on your own.


The race starts at the Southern end of the newly built Jewfish Creek bridge, a 100 foot tall monster. This is the best feature though, cause right about the moment you hit the top of the bridge is sunrise, and you can see Florida Bay to the South, the Atlantic behind you, and see the route all the way to Florida City! Breathtaking is not the right word.


There are a few drawbacks, assuming you don't see being all alone as one. The entire course is at about a four degree bank up to about 14 degrees in the one big corner for drainage. This means that to run truly flat you have to be right on the edge of the shoulder, so there can be some discomfort. Also, I mentioned no cheering fans; I didn't think this would matter that much, but I really coulda used those extra voices urging me on the last few miles of pain. The last thing that could actually be improved, is that since the half field is so small, by the time you get back most of the vendors have packed up.
 


Key Largo Bridge Run Medal 2011
 
So why do I really love having run this in 2011??? Well, I did get a personal best of 2:19:34 for the half. Sadly I had been on a 2 hr pace, then around mile 10.2 my piriformis muscle started swelling and pushed my sciatic nerve against my pelvis...Owww. So I limped most of the way back. However, even so, the take-away of this race was a huge feeling of pride and ownership of a race. I definitely discovered the inverse proportion of number of people running, and personal attachment to a course. There are so few people who have done this race, and now I stand in a small honored club!

 

I really wish I could do it again this year, but it is a week after the New York Marathon. By now you should know that I'm running with Team Fox for Parkinson's Research on Nov 2nd. In the process I am fundraising and collecting sponsors at www2.michaeljfox.org/goto/RunningArts



Spread the word about both these world-class opportunities!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment